Sunday, September 26, 2010


My name is Scott B. Barnett...the "B" stands for Brian.

I am the instructor for MK 241, Internet Marketing, a turbo class on Tuesday nights at the Dolan School of Business at Fairfield University.

I attended Syracuse University from 1978-1982, graduating with a B.S. in Television and Radio Production. After a few years producing medical videos for the AVM Corporation, I then took on the role of Audiovisual Manager at the Hospital of Saint Raphael, in New Haven, CT. During this time I began and completed studies at Fairfield University, earning a M.S. in Educational Technology in 1993.

I played with AV toys for about ten years, then moved on to Quinnipiac University (then College) School of Law....where I was the multimedia coordinator for four years. I also taught adjunct Radio and TV production courses.

In the 1990's, we all heard of this thing called "the Internet" that supposedly Al Gore invented. So at Quinnipiac, I became the web guy. This led me to getting recruited by an interactive ad agency called Modem Media to help produce web sites, in 1999.

It was a heady time then, with us all working crazy hours and burning other companies money. Companies like IBM, Citibank, and Philips had so much of it to spend...so we made sites for them to spend it on.

It was a crazy, exciting time. So much so, that Quinnipiac called me back and said "hey, let's create a program about this Internet thing." So we did, and the e-Media program at Quinnpiac was born. What a mistake.

Turns out, colleges and universities are not the greatest at predicting the future (for that matter, neither is Kreskin). But as these things go, the program was hot for a year or two, attracting much student interest (and $$ too). But internal politics and waning student interest (e-Media, just what does that mean?) killed off the undergraduate program and they morphed the graduate program into a sort of e-journalism thing.

I moved on to consult with one of those for-profit schools, then jumped off to New York to lead a crew of young bucks in the Academic Computing department at Sarah Lawrence College. A true academic arena...with students who could expound on everything from A to Z. I did that until my body tired from the travel (three hours daily round trip) and the agency biz came knocking again.

I jumped off to join Ryan Interactive, a go go marketing firm in the Norwalk region. There I got to meet and work with a fine crew of people who did second generation web marketing for companies like Dove, Heineken and Subway. Great people and good times at Ryan, but then I spied a job at Fairfield University. They envisioned a web communications department, with marketing and communications supervision of all the public websites. It was an opportunity of a lifetime, a lifetime spent working towards being a productive thinker, developer, leader and consultant.

So here I am, about ten or eleven paragraphs later....teaching and leading a bit, still learning a lot, and hopefully providing good services to the client community at Fairfield, both internally and externally. Enjoy the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment